Sunday, March 10, 2013


Saturday, March 9

Dear friends and family,

I am happy to report that, with no travel complications, 13 wonderful, dirty, emotionally and physically exhausted women have returned home safely from a wonderful week at El Hogar.

 The Saturday schedule at El Hogar is a bit more relaxed than the school week so we did not have to hurry off to morning devotion and breakfast but could savor our last morning together. The sound of voices, giggles and the scent of coffee were deemed by all a wonderful way to wake up and ease into each day. This will be missed upon our return.

 After we finished packing, we headed up to the dining hall for a breakfast of pancakes with honey and then outside to spend a few last moments with the children. Pictures were snapped, notes to children from madrinas were shared, hugs were exchanged and tears spilled down many a cheek. Jimmy, the Assistant Director, gathered the children for a final farewell and after a few more hugs and photos we piled into the vans for our short trip to the airport.
 
Our travel was smooth and easy, even allowing time for a quick celebratory glass of wine at the Cuban Restaurant and Bar aptly placed right next to our gate. We closed out a special week with the same joy, love and energy that had surrounded us all week.

 As the leader (somewhat by default!) of this energetic group of fabulous women, it was for me a privilege and a blessing to be able to share with them a place that I hold very near to my heart, to experience the joy and the heartbreak, the resilience and the hope that is El Hogar Projects.

 On the night we arrived, I dug into the first bag of Dove chocolates (a women’s team staple!) and pulled out the familiar red wrapped chocolate. On the inside of each wrapper is a saying or a phrase, along the lines of a fortune cookie. Last Saturday night, my phrase was “You are exactly where you are supposed to be.” I could not have said it better myself!

 Now, I also believe I am “exactly where I am supposed to be”- home with my family and friends and all of you who know the hope and love of El Hogar.
 
Welcome home, team! I miss you already!

Much love, Betsy

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment